Thursday, May 19, 2011

Godly Wealth

I love the growth going on at The Crossing! Last night's TnT's class was  totally awesome, yet again. In a room full of ADD "kids" (20s and 30s anyways) we tend to not stay on subject.

We started on the subject of heaven. We talked about "the Lord's prayer" - which is located in John 17. This then blossomed over to Joseph being broke, and wealth. Honestly, I don't recall how we got from one to the other... :)

But pastor talked about John 17: 9 and 15 -  9 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours... 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.

Jesus prayed not for the world, for those God gave him. His disciples - his followers. We are his followers today. We are protected by Jesus' prayer every day. So why are we so afraid of evil? It can't touch us. It's like with Job - no matter what trials he went through he stayed steadfast in his faith, and eventually the devil just gave up. He wouldn't even touch him with a 10 foot pole.

So God protects us from the inner workings of the devil. This shifted over to the discussion of Joseph's empty wallet. Deuteronomy 8:18 - But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today. God gives us the ABILITY to PRODUCE wealth! So we need to trust in him and use those abilities. If we speak that we will be broke, then moths will fly out of our pockets and wallets. We are allowing evil to pray on us by speaking these words. If we trust and speak that we will produce wealth and not be broke, we will not be. It's all a matter of perspective.

Pastor spoke about how when he was young, his mama had a 3rd grade education and his daddy died when he was young (I believe he said 10.) His mama got a check once a month, he talked about dividing a room off with a sheet so the floor heater would keep them warm... but because she never spoke the words, he never knew they were broke. We are influenced by our words and words of others. He said they always had abundant meals, and his mama always told  them God would protect them and things were going to be ok. And it was. 


It reminded me that wealth shouldn't be measured by how much money is in my pocket, how big our house is, how nice our car... we get so wrapped up in worldly wealth, we forget about Godly wealth. I feel God calling to me telling me everything is going to be okay. I feel so wrapped up in our finances right now, but I know if I trust in him everything will be worked out in the end. I need to wrap myself up with God, and let him take care of our financial situation. He is God of everything, and will answer our prayers and needs. If we let him guide our lives, our finances, our wealth, then we may not get rich, but we will have the greatest riches we could ask for, along with God's blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment