Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why am I an Ally?

So you're probably wondering, what is an Ally???

An Ally is a person who is a member of the dominant or majority group who works to end oppression by supporting and advocating for the oppressed population.

Allies to racial, ethnic and religious minorities and women have been remarkably effective in promoting positive change in the dominant culture. Only recently has their instrumental position been extended to sexual orientation and gender identity. The past few years have witnessed the development of heterosexual Ally organizations which have helped to make the culture of campuses or workplaces more accepting of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons. 

So Why am I an Ally?

First of all, I believe a lack of acceptance and an attitude of intolerance is one of the biggest issues our society faces, and one that has been the root cause of some of the most tragic events in history. Personally growing up with a lack of acceptance and being bullied daily in school to the point of skipping school and lowering my grades below my potential and feeling extremely down about myself, I personally understand the results of bullying and harassment.

In today's society we have seen kids drop out of school, suffer from anxiety or depression, or even commit suicide because of bullying. And the bullying isn't just in our schools... it is in our communities, and even in our church's. If someone is different in any way, they fear expressing themselves or being who they are for fear of being judged, labeled, bullied, or harassed. These kind of hostile surroundings, where everyone is more worried about not becoming a victim then they are about doing well in school or life, is not conducive to a healthy learning environment or a healthy person.

I have never been in support of discrimination of another human being for any reason. I was raised that racial persecution is wrong... well this isn't any different. 

And I am an Ally as a Christian heterosexual because I am against the twisted dogma that we should "not put up with sin" and that "the bible doesn't condone homosexuality (orientation)" or that  "we should up hold traditional marriage." I don't even agree with the religious use of the term traditional marriage nor that the Bible blatantly states homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. In fact, my goal with my blog is to debunk this whole "homosexuality is against the bible" hogwash as I read and study the passages for myself.

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” I don't want to take the side of bullying ever. Allies are in the position to be the change. And it is time we learn from our historical mistakes (killing Indiana, slavery, the oppression of African American citizens & women) and get past this "hodgepodge" of the never changing sanctity of marriage (interracial marriage was once oppressed by religious groups) and consider the fact that the "sanctity of marriage" has already been destroyed enough by straights who commit adultery and divorce one another. We've done a pretty shabby job of preserving that one ourselves.Not to mention "traditional" marriage as we see it today, is not even the way it was done back in historical and biblical times.

But even well before the point of marriage, you deal with children, teens, students. Struggling with the idea that they are gay, the idea of coming out in such a critical world, and some of them being raised religious and who are Christians - even trying to "pray it away" like it's something they can fix or heal.

Becoming an Ally is something I would encourage everyone to do. You may face some challenges, but in the end you would be doing the right thing. Remember, there is nothing holy about hatred or oppression.

“I believe there’s Nothing Holy About Hatred.  I am against homophobia, racism, oppression, and the bullying, violence and damage it causes have no place in my community.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for having a heart filled with love and acceptance. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. ~ Jeannie

    ReplyDelete