Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thanks for Assuming I'm as Uneducated As You Are


Ok, so I really do try hard to not be mean and vindictive... but I'm only human, and this one had to be shared, and even laughed at a little... supporters for "traditional marriage" just keep proving my theory of the lack of actual education on the subject of homosexuality and marriage equality, and even the bible and Christianity itself... Please, if you are going to have a rational debate, be tactful about it... be open to understanding the other side...

Questioning the intellect of the opposition just because they are the opposition is silly and not really about having meaningful conversations...

I posted on the wall of the well known "Traditional Marriage Supporter" Chick Fil A (CFA) earlier, that "Christians should be more concerned about the fruits of their speech, than their freedom to speak." What was the one response I got after about 10 likes over 48 hours? 

From Lawanda:

"What does that even mean? I bet you don't even know..."

In the words of Homer over there, D'OH! 

First off, she asked what it meant, because, apparently, she didn't know... Then she assumed I was uneducated as she was when I posted the quote to begin with... So it wasn't even genuine curiosity... but blatant ignorance.

So I thought I'd share my response with all you fine people.

It (fruits of one's speech) means that as Christians we should be more worried about how what we say effects others, and if it shows a Christ-like person - does your words, actions, FB posts, everything you do show people the love of Christ?

Luke 6:44 reads: For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45“The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

What kind of fruit do you bear? 


And I apologize in advance this particular post doesn't show the most "loving" fruit (which I did strive to show in my response to Lawanda), but this one was a real fruit basket... and I needed to vent. And that is why I have a blog.

The biggest issue with the right-winged fundamentalist view on marriage equality is the lack of actual education surrounding the issue (and Lawanda was just one example)... the lack of openness and willingness to learn what it actually means and stands for. The lack of true understanding of even the Bible, of God, and of Christianity. Many good religious folk are just ignorant (by definition, this is not an attempt at name calling) and non-reflective. This (lack of understanding) is one of the sins of the depraved or useless mind listed in Romans 1. Too many people are being spoonfed religious doctrine, or dogma instead of researching and studying the bible in it's originally intended context for themselves. Conservatives get onto liberals claiming they are "twisting scripture to fit their personal lifestyle choices" - when in all actuality, they are the ones doing the twisting.

No comments:

Post a Comment